Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 7: Jackson to Billings

This is a day I've looked forward to for the whole trip. I'm starting at the southern end of Teton National Park, enter Yellowstone through the southern entrance, ride along the east side to the Park and exit through the northeastern entrance. From there, over the Beartooth Scenic Byway and end with a room in Billings. Great hopes have given way to disappointment.

Don't get me wrong. The scenery was fantastic. For example, here's a great view of the Tetons at the start of my ride.


And a little ways up the road I saw my first of many herds of bison along the road. They are hard to make out in the background. But I'm not getting any closer. These are huge animals with bad tempers.


Once I got into Yellowstone the scenery got better while the traffic got worse. I guess it is to be expected. Here is Lewis Lake. I bet if the sun were out it would mirror the sky.


And a little way down the road, Yellowstone Lake was on the other side of the road. You can see some sulfur fumes coming from the edge of the lake on the other side.


Unfortunately, that is the last of the photos from the parks. Shortly after this picture was taken the rain started and never let up the rest of the trip. Of course the people in RV's dragging SUV's behind them had no trouble stopping in the middle of the road to look at the bison, while I stood behind them in the rain. Or the construction area that was so long and torn up that I picked up grit in my front forks. Now they are seeping fork fluid. Fortunately, this is not a serious problem. I'm not leaking much fluid. Just enough to keep the toes of my boots waterproof! HA

The ride over the Beartooth Scenic Byway was absolutely beautiful, and scared the crap out of me at the same time. At one point the top of the ski lift ended on the road where I'm driving. There are no guardrails and the road is wet. With the little fluid leaking from the forks I'm certain on one of the hairpin turns I'm going to do a "Thelma and Louise" over the edge. I'd love to do this road again, but in the minivan when I can pull over and take in the view. There was no place flat enough to put down the kickstand even if I was willing to get that close to the edge.

The frightening part of the ride ended by Red Lodge. I was able to open up the throttle and with the rain letting up, I started drying out a bit. I finally arrived in Billings and found my motel. Once all my gear was stored in the room I changed into dry clothes and found an Irish pub with Guinness and Corned Beef with Cabbage for dinner. This helped put a long cold ride into long-term memory. I look forward to another long sleep.

1 comment:

  1. The picutres you DID get are stunning. Those Tetons!!! Awesome. I'll bet it is a once in a lifetime sort of trip.

    ReplyDelete