Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 4: Gunnison to Glenwood Springs

It was hard getting up and out of the motel this morning. I was up late grading papers and tired after the rough riding through the rain the previous day. I had planned on riding Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista, but after my experience in the dirt, I switched my route through Monarch Pass because its all asphalt. Here is a view on the way up toward Monarch Pass.


The ride was great. There were several places for passing slow cages and I got to the summit to find a familiar sign. Once again we are crossing the Continental Divide.


From Monarche Pass I rode east to Poncha Springs and caught US-285 north. As I was leaving Buena Vista I say a strange bike in my rear view. It has one fog light out. And it was keeping up with me. So when I turned off US-285 onto CO-28 for Independence Pass, I pulled off when he also turned to tell him his light was burned out. But he blew right past me on a BMW K1600GT. Now the race was on! I didn't try passing him, but he never pulled away from me all the way up the mountain. He finally pulled over at the top of Independence Pass.



Mike lives in Austin and was riding to Snowmass. Who would guess a couple of Texans would run into one another this far from home on two wheels? Just a couple of good ole boys flyin' around on exotic motorcycles. We rode into Aspen, stripped off the rain gear we put on at the summit, then Mike turned off to Snowmass, and I continued on into Glenwood Springs.

Once into the motel I was directed to the 19th Street Diner where they had an amazing local brew and a pretty good turkey sandwich with Hatch chilli and cheeze! This is where I texted my IPA buddies should meet. The only disappointment was the internet at the motel kept kicking me off, so I couldn't up-date the blog. But it was a nice room. I parked Trigger right in front of the door and there were several other bikers nearby. We all kept an eye on our rides while talking about where we had come from and where we were going. And beer was consumed, if you can believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment