Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 5: Glenwood Springs to Craig

The weatherman says that rain is coming in from east to west, so I'm altering my trip to avoid it. I was planning on riding the Colorado River Road to McCoy, then north to Steamboat Springs, then east to Craig. But my new path takes me west to Rifle, then north on CO 13, through Meeker to Craig. I stopped at the Wally World in Rifle to get WD-40, chain lube, and a cheap tooth brush to clean the chain on Trigger when I get off the road today. When I got back on Trigger, I the GPS wouldn't boot. I hope its a fuse. I haven't used GPS on the motorcycle before, but I've gotten used to getting directions in unfamiliar places. But it will be a short ride today. I wasn't expecting was how beautiful the ride from Rifle to Craig would be. None of my motorcycle maps or any others mark this as an interesting road. It should!

We're headin' into them thar mountains:



Later I was able to call on some locals, but apparently no one was at home.


I just came through some sweepers that were a lot of fun.


And the road ahead looks interesting.



I got to Craig before 2 p.m. The general manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites here is a motorcycle rider and has left standing orders to allow bikes to be parked under the awning in front of the motel. And he had a bucket of cleaning supplies for bikers to clean their rides. How rider friendly is that! And they have directed me to the Holiday Inn Express across the parking lot for a good steak and bar. Perfect! Trigger got his chain cleaned and will stay on the center stand while Papa gets a steak and beer at the Holiday Inn!


No comments:

Post a Comment